02 September 2009

Baby update

Two weeks ago I went to the doctor for my normal check-up. During the ultrasound we found out that baby b's growth had slowed down tremendously. Also, we could see her heart beating but she wasn't moving or practicing her breathing. So, the doctor sent me over to the hospital to be monitored for the day. Thankfully, both of the babies began moving and breathing and I was able to come home without any intervention.

This week I again had an ultrasound. It showed that baby b had not grown at all. Dr. Westmoreland, however, said that she wasn't concerned about this because week to week ultrasounds are not accurate in assessing growth and because their movement and the blood flow through their umbilical cord and the placenta looked perfect. She said that that was a more accurate way to measure fetal well being.

With that news I was encouraged that I might not need to deliver until at least 36 weeks. She did say that I am already dilated to a 4. I could deliver today or it could be a week or two from now. I pray that my body will be strengthened to carry them until they can be born healthy and strong. I have no doubt that we have been continually blessed through the prayers of others during this pregnancy. It has been mostly uneventful, for which we are grateful.

It has been a blessing to feel Heavenly Father's love for these two babies that I carry inside of me. What a wonderful blessing to be given the opportunity and responsibility of raising two more of HIS children.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Laura, I'm so glad your pregnancy has gone so well. It isn't often you hear about twin pregnacy going as smoothly. We'll continue to pray for you and your sweet babies.
Love,
Sara

Linkous said...

Amen! We're so happy everything is still on track! We keep waiting for the phone call that they're here, and they just keep hanging out in your tummy, beefing up and getting ready! They are going to be amazing, just like their mom (and dad :)). Love you

Christa and Rob said...

Keep those babies in their, Laura! We miss you and have been wondering how things are going now that we've been gone for a WHOLE WEEK...I bet the house feels like it's finally getting back to normal!