26 April 2009

all the cards are on the table

This week we finally heard from Thunderbird. They said that since Grandpa Big Dad was a Thunderbird, and Uncle Bill is a Thunderbird, it would be a shame for me not to be one too.

So we've been crunching a lot of numbers and trying to look at all of the possible implications of going to the three schools where we were accepted. Here's a quick run down for anyone interested. If not, skip to the end.

BYU is the cheapest in terms of tuition - a little under 10k/year, but doesn't really offer any scholarships.

Rice is the most expensive, coming in at close to 45k/year for tuition and fees. They offered me a 15k/year scholarship, plus the added benefits of staying here in Houston with the twins coming.

Thunderbird is just under 40k/year in tuition and they offered me a 1/2 tuition scholarship.

While all of these options are interesting, each has its drawbacks. With either BYU or Thunderbird, we'd have to add in the costs/effects of moving the family, having the babies within a month of relocating, the increased costs of living, etc. Rice is the most expensive and the tuition deposit is pretty steep at a time when all of our money is going to pay the doctor and the hospital up front for the twins.

So one thought is that we hold off a year. That way we make sure the babies arrive safe and sound, and if the schools we've been accepted to won't defer the offer for a year, we can always apply again and this time get them in at beginning of the cycle rather than at the tail end.

Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers on our behalf. We'll let y'all know which way we're headed as soon as we're sure ourselves.

5 comments:

Mark and Aupreille said...

Reminds me of a country song "You got to know when to hold em... know when to fold em... know when to walk away... know when to run..." I think I remember Joy and Darrell singing that all the time back in the day.
That's pretty exciting, and three great school options, and one great deferment option. Got to do what's best for your family, so just weigh it out. Keep us posted!!!

Matt said...

I think deferring is a good option to explore. Also, you could re-apply to your other schools in the fall so that your application will get full consideration.

Either way, you have lots of good options. Good luck with your decision-making.

Mama KK said...

All good options, but my guess is that you'll defer until next year.

Anonymous said...

If you come to Utah, I could hold those babies. But, I'd rather not move if I were you. Good luck with the decision.

Natalie said...

Decisions, decisions! Congrats on getting into Rice and Tbird John. The right thing will open up, and you'll know what to do. We love you guys!