05 December 2010

The Gift

As I was reading in the December Ensign today I was touched deeply by an article called "The Gift". The article speaks of the true meaning of Christmas. The author writes about what Mary's experience must have been. But, the part that touched me the most was the simple reminder that the most treasured gift EVER given is not one that can be found in a store, it is not one that only the rich can obtain, and it didn't come wrapped in "shiny wrapping paper." The greatest gift ever given was wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in a manger. He was sent to the humblest of circumstances.

As I read this I thought about how I desire to give my children the world. I can't do this by showering them with temporal things. I am grateful for the reminder that we are richest when we have a testimony of Our Savior and the gift He gave to us.

Another thing that struck me as I read this article was the weight that Mary must have felt on her shoulders. What would it feel like to know that you were the one chosen to raise The Savior of the world? What a great blessing and responsibility. Thinking about this, I wonder what it is that each of my children have been sent here to accomplish. What is the part they will take in the plans of Our Heavenly Father?

Even though I do not know exactly what they are to do, I do know that it is my responsibility to raise them in such a way that they will be willing and able to follow the will of The Father. Looking at them, I feel I can catch just a small glimpse of their potential. I know that they have each been given special gifts and talents that will help them.

It truly is the greatest gift to know that Our Savior lives, that He died for us so that we might all live again. I am grateful for His atonement, for His life and the example he was, and for the Holy Spirit which teaches us what those in the world cannot!

0 comments: